To enthusiastic applause within the Culver Household Welcome Middle, the College of Wisconsin Oshkosh group celebrated the successes and contributions of school and workers at anon Sept. 6.
“This annual program and ceremony permits us to pause, mirror upon and have fun these colleagues who function examples of what all of us aspire to be. That’s: to be in service of teaching college students, lifting communities and including to the data of the world round us,” UWO Chancellor Andy Leavitt mentioned.
Along with these highlighted beneath, staff lately acknowledged by the UW System and the Fond du Lac and Fox Cities campuses additionally have been acknowledged in the course of the occasion.
College and workers marking milestone service anniversaries have been honored as nicely, together with Thomas Frantz, govt director of the UWO-Fox Cities Basis; and David Jones, legal justice professor, who’ve every served the College for 40 years.
“Your years of service are invaluable,” mentioned Shawna Kuether, affiliate vice chancellor for human sources and equal alternative and affirmative motion. “I want you all well being, reward and success within the 12 months forward.”
You’ll want to watch all year long for extra in-depth options in regards to the UWO 2022-23 award winners.
Edward M. Penson Distinguished Instructing Award
- Kathy Elertson, an assistant dean and submit licensure program director within the Faculty of Nursing, encourages undergraduate and graduate nursing college students to make important connections between concept and scientific utility. Her scholarly deal with stigma in healthcare highlights the necessity for motion to handle well being disparities inside susceptible populations.
- Crystal Mueller has taught within the English division since 2006 as an tutorial educational workers member and has served as Writing Middle director on the Oshkosh campus since 2007. She has designed and taught programs on an array of topics, from writing and Quest literature for first- and second-year college students to rhetoric and concept for English majors to analysis strategies and writing research for graduate college students.
- Dan Schmidt, a professor and former kinesiology division chair, has taught a wide range of kinesiology programs in his 25 years at UW Oshkosh. He’s a fellow of the American Faculty of Sports activities Medication and has lengthy been an advocate for rising bodily exercise ranges amongst college students, college and workers.
Barbara G. Sniffen College Governance Service Award
- Stacey Skoning, a particular schooling professor, has served on 30 totally different division, school, College or System committees and as a Faculty of Training and Human Providers division chair for 11 years. Her present analysis focuses on growing new instructing strategies and methods that higher help all college students inside the common schooling setting, whether or not they have disabilities or presents and skills.
John McNaughton Rosebush Professorship
- Heather Englund has been a devoted member of a number of College committees associated to range, fairness and inclusion. She is taken into account an skilled within the subject of marginalization of minority college students in larger schooling and has introduced her analysis findings each nationally and internationally.
Excellent Efficiency Award
- Debra Suess has been an administrative assistant within the kinesiology division since December 2014. Lately she has helped out within the skilled counseling workplace, masking for a summer time as they labored to rent a brand new division assistant; labored within the Faculty of Nursing’s dean’s workplace for a summer time; and labored within the physics workplace for 2 years.
Excellent Service Award
- Missy Burgess works because the affiliate director for scholar involvement in Reeve Union, supervising the workers behind scholar actions and management on the three campuses. She additionally coordinates efforts for Homecoming, co-advises the Oshkosh Scholar Affiliation, has chaired and served on a number of search and display screen committees and lately served because the recorder for the Emergency Operations Committee in the course of the College’s COVID response efforts.
- Jeanne Hiatt is the training sources supervisor within the Faculty of Nursing and manages the day by day operations of the CON labs. She is chargeable for serving to the scholars use the sources out there to arrange for his or her registered nurse licensure examination and stays in contact with college students all through their program, offering help and encouragement.
- Alicia Stuedemann, the affiliate director of recent scholar and household applications, has efficiently collaborated with a wide range of departments to plan and execute new scholar programming for 1,500-plus new college students. Her efforts helped perform the very best variety of periods (56) within the historical past of Titan Takeoff orientation in 2021 and one other profitable Titan Takeoff in 2022 whereas additionally constructing her skilled group. Stuedemann is also the co-chair of the Past Fairness and Motion committee on campus, a group fellow for swimming and diving and an advocate and mentor for a lot of scholar leaders. Stuedemann seeks one of the best curiosity at coronary heart for her friends, college students and group.
LGBTQIA+ Ally Award
- Stuedemann additionally acknowledges and acknowledges the significance of demonstrated and constant dedication to the LGBTQIA+ College group and is dedicated to the success of others. She not solely lives and breathes the mission of UWO, but additionally genuinely places others, particularly college students and people people who historically have been underserved, on the heart of all the pieces she does.
Queer and Trans College Workers Award
- Pamela Massey has served because the campus administrator for the Fox Cities campus since 2019, overseeing day by day operations and campus-wide initiatives. She has been an necessary advocate for college kids—particularly within the LGBTQ+ group—for years, together with advising the LGBTQ+ scholar group, serving to create and coordinate SAFE coaching, serving to create the Intersection and finishing the Middle for Excellence in Instructing and Studying workshop on finest practices and curriculum constructing for the LGBTQ Research Certificates.
Penson College Award
- Wendy Bauer, an assistant professor and Faculty of Nursing analysis and analysis director, has taught a wide range of programs within the undergraduate and graduate applications and suggested Honors and doctoral college students. Bauer is fascinated with enhancing well being outcomes for at-risk populations with persistent respiratory ailments by environmental air high quality administration.
- Don Heath, an affiliate professor and data programs division chair, has developed and taught a wide range of programs. His analysis program is targeted on discovering methods for individuals with visible impairments to make use of fashionable cellular expertise to help them of their educational and vocational endeavors.
- Chris Jones, an affiliate professor and accounting division chair, primarily teaches tax programs. His analysis is also within the space of taxation and focuses each on taxpayer compliance and practitioner-based articles.
- Tammy Ladwig, a college member within the Faculty of Training and Human Providers, brings her ardour for instructing and growing lecturers to her courses and in colleges. She persistently builds robust studying communities and rapport that college students regard as lengthy lasting and impactful.
- Kimberly Rivers, a historical past professor and the College Research Program interim director, is an teacher of programs in historical and medieval historical past. She strives to point out college students how earlier societies dealt with a number of the identical points we battle with at the moment and to assist college students perceive how historical past is created by historians and in well-liked reminiscence.
- Angela Subulwa, worldwide research program director and an affiliate geography professor, pushes college students to make vital connections between their lives and international patterns, networks, complexities and inequities. As co-adviser for the UW Oshkosh Mannequin United Nations group, Subulwa helps college students construct their analysis, talking, writing and management abilities to succeed in consensus on a number of the planet’s most urgent challenges.
- Carrie Tirel, a professor within the arithmetic division, promotes common entry to larger schooling and scholar success at UW Oshkosh and all through the state. Not too long ago, she served on the venture group for the UW System Math Initiative, was vice chair of the UW System math steering committee and co-facilitated energetic studying workshops for UW System math instructors that developed into an ongoing group of observe.
- Julie Zuleger, an assistant professor, teaches courses in bodily schooling and well being schooling within the human kinetics and well being schooling division. Her analysis pursuits embrace physique picture and physique dysmorphia and its affect on psychological well being.
Photograph above: Chancellor Andy Leavitt honors Alicia Stuedemann with two awards on Tuesday.